A concrete jungle perhaps not made for barefoot running, Singapore still has a vibrant barefoot community and some excellent places for barefoot running. In this article we introduce some of these hidden places, the best communities and where you can buy barefoot running shoes in Singapore. Remember to put on some insect repellent before you go running though – beware the mighty mosquito.
Chris McDougall, author of ‘Born to Run’, even ran barefoot in a Standard Chartered marathon in Singapore a few years back.
Places to run Barefoot in Singapore
- Gardens by the Bay – running in this beautiful new development gives you the feeling of running in another world; a hyper-morden futuristic park. Flat terrain, largely concrete, low difficulty. With a large variety of plants that showcase the power of natural air purification systems
- Singapore River – another great place for running at all times of the day, where you can run by the Fullerton, Clarke Quay, Victoria Theatre and many other culturally rich places in Singapore. Flat terrain, largely concrete, low difficulty.
- Botanical Gardens – another beautiful place in the middle of Singapore with a great mix of flora and fauna. Largely concrete, low difficulty.
- MacRitchie Resevoir – good mix of concrete, wooden and dirt tracks in Singapore’s largest catchment area. Moderate difficulty.
- Fort Canning Park – the British’s last stand in the colonial days; uphill terrain, moderate difficulty
- Sentosa – great for beach running; a number of beaches albeit best visited on weekdays. One of the few places in Singapore where you can actually run barefoot
- Bukit Timah Hill – run to the peak of Singapore by jogging to the top of Bukit Timah Hill. High difficulty, only for the experienced barefoot runner
- East Coast Park – for those who live on the East side of Singapore. Great amenities along the way and great food places.
Where to buy Barefoot Running Shoes in Singapore
The two best options for those who are willing to wait and do not want to pay retail price are Amazon and Zalora Singapore.
Amazon has the best range of barefoot running shoes online, but shipping to Singapore can be expensive.
Zalora Singapore offers free delivery to all locations in Singapore, frequent sales of up to 75% off and a generous 30-day free return policy. However, this discount online retailer may have a more limited selection of goods.
Barefoot Running Communities in Singapore
For those who are looking for local communities of barefoot runners in Singapore, Meetup.com is a great place to look. Barefoot SG is one such meetup group that you can consider.