So this post is not about where to buy a Vibram FiveFinger shoe that’s in the size you are looking for. I know that’s a problem in itself. These shoes are way too hot now. Nope. This is one step before putting down cash. How do you properly find the right size FiveFinger shoe so you don’t end up screwing up your toe nails (like I did). This is the advice that I should have listened.
Officially this is what Vibram says you should do to find the right sized shoe:
- Stand with your heels flush against a flat vertical wall.
- Slide a ruler under each foot and measure the distance from the wall to the tip of the longest toe.
- Take the longer of the two foot measurements.
- If the the foot length varies more than 1/6 in. it will be difficult to get a precise fit for both feet.
- If your your second toe is more than 1/6 in. longer than your big toe it may be difficult to get a precise fit
They also have a video that is good to check out for the more visual learners out there.
As simple as that sounds, I still screwed up. The first time I ordered my Vibram Classics they were way too small. What was the problem? I didn’t follow the directions. Instead of measuring my foot while standing up I had the bright idea to measure my foot while laying down (I was watching TV). It was my own fault when my order finally arrived and they didn’t fit.
Learning from my mistake I took the time to make proper measurements the second time. I found it helpful to slip a piece of paper on the ground and marking with a pen/pencil “the tip of the longest toe.” After I had this mark I could easily measure it accurately using a ruler.
This time around it went a lot better and when I got the shoes they fit 1000 times better than the first pair I received. However, you should be aware that if your toes don’t fit the same length distribution of a pair of FiveFinger shoes then you can have some issues with squished toes. That’s what I experience now. Every toe fits well except my pinky toe. Next time around I’m going to order a size up.